“Scorpion” | Season 1, Episode 5: “Plutonium Is Forever” | Date: Oct. 20, 2014
- I still remember the first time I saw “Carlito’s Way,” with the 1993 film in which Al Pacino plays a reformed crook trying to escape his former life.
- My heart raced as Carlito tried to make it to the train and escape the mob with his girlfriend and unborn child, only to be gunned down in the final moments.
- To this day, I still hope — even though I’ve seen the film many times — that Carlito makes it, even though he never does.
- What’s this got to do with “Scorpion,” the middling CBS procedural and this week’s story about a nuclear meltdown avoided in the final seconds?
- Well, I guess that feeling I have about “Carlito’s Way” never comes up when I’m watching “Scorpion;” I don’t empathize with the characters, I never really feel like they’re in danger and I even though I know they’ll always come through in the end, I kinda hope they’ll fail because that would at least be something different.