Season 1, Episode 9: “Sixteen-Inch Softball”
Original air date: Nov. 21, 2013
- Simon (Robin Williams) loses an account and Gordon (Brad Garrett) says the firm must cut staff to remain profitable. They decide to have a softball match between creatives and accounts. Everybody on the winning team keeps their job. Somebody on the losing team is fired.
- This is a very cheerful take on layoffs and the modern state of job security. I hate it.
- I prefer the much more realistic and cutthroat account of life in the Profit Makes Moral era of our society depicted in the David Mamet classic “Glengarry Glen Ross.” First prize: new car. Second prize: set of steak knives. Third prize: You’re fired. Many of us already feel as if the 1 percent is playing games with our lives. The fact that Simon and Gordon play actual games to decide our fates is probably meant to be funny. I feel like it’s a little too close to the truth.
- If this episode of “The Crazy Ones” was meant to be satire, it didn’t work. It really wasn’t smart enough to aim for that kind of thing. And it wasn’t funny enough to be amusing.
- Oh well. At least it wasn’t a holiday-themed episode.