Season 1, Episode 3: “The 112th Congress”
5. I misspoke in my first review of “The Newsroom.”
4. I called it a love story, but it’s really a fantasy.
3. It’s a fantasy about love of journalism and the old fashioned form of love.
2. Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels) is the fantasy of what journalism can be and every relationship in the show is a fantasy of the twisted romantic comedy dynamic of love, neither of which are particularly believable but is damned fun to watch, if a little preachy and soap operatic at times.
1. A special note of thanks to the third episode in the series for writing a believable mental health scene in which Maggie (Alison Pill) suffers a panic attack and Jim (John Gallagher, Jr.) comforts her; the more scenes like that on television the better we will be at understanding true mental health struggles.