Season 1, Episode 2: “News Night 2.0″
5. “The Newsroom” felt too much like a self-aware romantic comedy in its second outing, complete with a dreamy soundtrack and farcical make-up, break-up paradigms and doe-eyed pining.
4. MacKenzie McHale (Emily Mortimer), who covered the war in Afghanistan, doesn’t, apparently, know how to use email on a BlackBerry, which leads to her revealing to the entire corporation that she cheated on her ex-lover, anchor Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels) despite Will expressly telling her he didn’t want anybody to know about the reason why their relationship failed.
3. Maggie (Alison Pill) botches an important booking on an immigration bill because a college boyfriend had sex with his ex while she hid under his bed, which ultimately blows the whole show, causes her to break up with Don (Thomas Sadoski) and make gooey with Jim (John Gallagher, Jr.).
2. The episode wasn’t wholly loathsome, but it came pretty close.
1. The saving grace was the absurdly funny period in which Will is forced to interview a trio of uninformed dolts because of Maggie’s screw up, which would have been even funnier if it didn’t actually look almost exactly like cable television news does every night.