Season 1, Episode 5: “The Dog Soldier”
5. “Longmire” is an ode to the simple, declarative sentence.
4. Walt Longmire (Robert Taylor) speaks directly using nouns and verbs, without flair but an unflinching earnestness that is devoid of both hucksterism and cynicism.
3. In the climax of “The Dog Soldier,” Longmire stares down a snide woman whom he can’t arrest without her confession, he reminds her a Cheyenne enforcer knows she tried to frame him for murder and simply says, “When he comes for you, I’m a phone call and a 20-minute drive away. I’ll come as fast as I can.”
2. She confesses after a long, hard minute of consideration.
1. Longmire is the police hero we need — terse and sometimes acerbic, but honest, straight and true without frills and snark.