5. The original name for Russell Brand’s new show on FX was “Strangely Uplifting,” and while I probably wouldn’t use that language, it is the strangest thing I’ve seen in a while, but in a good way.
4. Brand runs his wild, manic humor with jokes on everything from Steven Hawking moonwalking to bragging about sexual exploits to the Dalai Lama.
3. The audience is polled live as well as asked to fill out questionnaires, which leads to an amusing circumcision bit in the first episode.
2. Then there is Matt Stoller, a writer and political consultant, who sits on the set and has scholarly dialogue with Brand, who shuffles between stand-up comic and philosophy lecturer.
1. In one rant, Brand references both Nietzsche and Kim Kardasian, which sounds terrible but, like the show itself, works in a, well, strangely uplifting way.