5. A sense of dread pervades Ridley Scott’s latest space horror film “Prometheus,” but I can’t separate whether that gloom comes from the context presented on screen or the marketing that surrounds the film.
4. Nonetheless, “Prometheus” feels as if the whole thing is going to end badly and it does — and therein lies the disappointment.
3. Neither the bleak tone nor the unhappy end that meets most of the stars are problems in themselves — except that the film lacks true surprise, a complaint that could not be made of Scott’s original “Alien” or its first sequel.
2. “Prometheus” boasts a terrific cast — Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba, Guy Pierce and Charlize Theron — though none of the talented group are allowed to show much more than cold detachment or desperate disappointment.
1. “Prometheus” is a well-made movie about man’s search for God, but the frugal moviegoer would do just as well to rent “Alien” as see this less-entertaining prequel.
Time: 2 hours, 7 minutes
Genres: Horror-science fiction
Director: Ridley Scott
Finney’s Flicks Grade: B