5 sentence review of Awake
Season 1, Episode 5: “Oregon” (or as agent Santoro describes, “imagine London full of hippies”)
5. This episode continues the curious questioning of Detective Michael Britten’s “hunches” but introduces an interesting FBI agent named Santoro (Megan Dodds), the idea of moving to a different city in one reality and a serial killer who knows Michael personally.
4. A local death homicide the details of a longtime serial killer and a female FBI agent (with family issues of her own) arrives to introduce a new character to question Michael.
3. Wife Hannah (Laura Allen) is looking at Oregon as a place to move and has gone as far as researching movers without telling Michael; this trip by the wife connects with the case in the other reality and for awhile I thought his concerns about the growing distance in the marriage would cloud his intuitive leap here.
2. Eventually though Michael saves Santoro, who is visited by a heretofore distant daughter and the displeased serial killer calls Michael to say he broke into his therapist’s office and that he would be another character who would start judging him, in this case saying they have a lot in common.
1. Hannah and Michael reconnect but between a move to Oregon that would fracture his twin realities and this new serial killer that may take the show into Dexter territory, “Awake” is working on fresh story angles to keep the show from being just a police procedural with one distinguishing gimmick to rely on for spice.