Season 2, Episode 12: “Better Angels”
5. Musician Bruce Cockburn wrote a song lyrics that encapsulates the penultimate episode and perhaps the entire second season of “The Walking Dead:” “… the trouble with normal is it always gets worse.”
4. The survivors barely have time to grieve the eviscerated Dale (Jeffrey DeMunn) when Shane (Jon Bernthal) takes Randall (Michael Zegen) into the woods and snaps the boy’s neck, breaks his own nose against a tree and tricks Rick (Andrew Lincoln) into a final confrontation in the woods.
3. Worse, hints dropped in the Season 1 finale and in “18 Miles Out” this season bare out: One need not be bitten by a zombie to turn, a person only needs to die.
2. Forced into a confrontation brewing since the series began, Rick kills Shane, only to see his former best friend and nemesis rise as a zombie and Carl (Chandler Riggs) to shoot his walker Shane and alert a mass of zombies in the neighborhood.
1. This was the most tension-filled, agonizing hour yet on “The Walking Dead” — even worse than Dale’s death — and sets up a potentially cataclysmic showdown at Hershel’s (Scott Wilson) farm in next week’s finale.