Season 1, Episode 8: Rubber Man
5. The ghosts of Murder House attempt to drive Vivien (Connie Britton) insane and come pretty darned close with an assault led by Ben’s (Dylan McDermott) dead mistress, Hayden (Kate Mara), who is jealous of Vivien’s unborn twins.
4. Nora (Lily Rabe), who built the house with her Dr. Frankenstein husband, conspires with Hayden to steal Vivien’s unborn kids to replace the one they each lost — Nora’s baby was dismembered (and may be some freak hiding in the shadows of the Murder House basement) while Hayden’s baby died unborn when Larry (Denis O’Hare) beat Hayden to death with a shovel.
3. The origins of the Rubber Man are revealed: Originally bought as a sex suit for struggling couple Chad (Zachary Quinto) and Patrick (Teddy Sears), ghost Tate (Evan Peters) dons the latex suit to kill the men who have decided not to have a baby — the very thing all the ghosts seem to want most.
2. It’s also revealed Tate was in the Rubber Man suit and not Ben when Vivien got pregnant six months ago and old maid Moria (Frances Conroy) warns Vivien and Violet (Taissa Farmiga) to flee the haunted mansion, but Violet is reticent in part because she’s fallen in love with Tate, whom she has her first sexual encounter with, begging the question: If you have sex with a ghost are you still a virgin?
1. Vivien is driven to nut house by the maddening events of “Rubber Man” and viewers should be driven to see the next episode of the most exciting show on television.