5 sentence review of Homeland Season 1, Episode 2
5. I want to like “Homeland” and be like all the smart critics who always pick out the dense, plot-driven dramas on the premium cable networks and hold them up to the rest of us in the drooling masses and say, “Look! This is what you should be watching instead of ‘Two and a Half Men‘ and ‘NCIS.’”
4. But I’m just not feeling it and I’m not sure why.
3. The acting is top notch: Claire Danes plays Carrie Mathison, a CIA agent who battles an emotional disorder, with intelligence and a manic, rude energy, Damian Lewis as rescued Marine POW Nicholas Brody is intense and mystifying as a man apparently turned against his country and Mandy Patinkin offers a quiet, thoughtful menace as Saul Berenson, a CIA boss who mentors Mathison.
2. Yet, I feel eerily as I did after watching highly-praised “The Killing,” I know this is supposed to be good, but, call me stupid, I’m board watching Mathison watch Brody on black-and-white TV and Brody spend hours sitting in the corner.
1. SPOILER ALERT: Brody has clearly broken bad — at the end of episode one we learned Brody beat to death a fellow Marine in captivity and in the second we see he apparently converted to Islam while a prisoner – so I’m wondering what the big mystery is, other than when something — anything — is going to happen.