“The Walking Dead” | Season 5, Episode 2: “Strangers” | Date: Oct. 19, 2014
- The word that comes to mind after “The Walking Dead” introduced a band of cannibalistic hunters who eat Bob’s (Lawrence Gilliard, Jr.) leg is “gratuitous.”
- It was gratuitous even in the context of a show that is largely about inventive ways to smash zombie skulls.
- The obscene violence of the series doesn’t ruffle me too much, but it is a problem as it goes forward.
- It comes at the expense of character development and story (which I realize no one cares about because they’re mostly in it for the juicy squish of zombie mayhem) and it forces the series creative team to get grosser and more vile with each episode.
- I wonder when it gets to be too much for the audience, but with episode ratings that shatter cable TV records and eclipse most broadcast shows on the same night, maybe blood-spatter cruelty and soggy monsters is what people really want.