“Madam Secretary” | Season 1, Episode 4: “Blame Canada” | Date: Oct. 19, 2014
- This week, Secretary of State Elizabeth McCord (Téa Leoni) avoids war with Iran by meeting with an Iranian official in the basement of the Canadian embassy.
- McCord is magic that way, neatly solving every political crisis without too many consequences.
- Also, there are tensions with Canada over an oil pipeline and McCord threatens to revoke the visas of every Canadian-born NHL player if the Canadians don’t knock it off.
- I like any episode that implies the Canadians are getting tough with the United States, regardless of the issue.
- “Madam Secretary” is the perfect Sunday show — an unspectacular drama with good performances, just enough mystery to keep you paying attention without getting you very excited before bedtime.